Accountant in practice
About the position
Purpose of the role
Compiling of annual financial statements of CC’s, trusts, sole proprietors and Body Corporates and working paper files. Calculation of taxation owing by business and individuals. Liaising with clients directly. Supervise and train junior and intermediate accountants.
Academic Qualifications Required:
- BCom degree or equivalent in Accounting
- Completed SAIPA / AGA / SAICA articles
- More than 3 years of experience in an accounting practice
Skills, Competencies and Experience Required:
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills: Be able to converse in English and Afrikaans
- Report writing skills
- Time Management
- Problem solving skills
- Organisational skills
- Training presentation skills
- Supervisory skills: Ability to supervise junior and intermediate accountants and provide leadership.
- Strong Accounting and Taxation knowledge
- Decisive and accurate
- Ability to prioritise
- Ability to work under pressure in a deadline driven environment
- Three years plus relevant accounting experience
Required Computer Package Experience:
- CaseWare Working Papers
- Pastel / Sage Business Cloud Accounting
- Microsoft Office Software
Key Duties and Responsibilities – Key Performance Indicators:
- Compilation of AFS on CaseWare
- Supervise and initiating the processing of client information cheques, receipts, sales invoices, purchase invoices
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Processing and reconciling of Petty Cash and cash control accounts
- Keeping of a fixed asset register
- General journals – e.g. depreciation, provisions, interest, salaries, stock, etc.
- Process journal entries e.g. new instalment sale agreements, interest on borrowings, provisions, accruals of income and expenses, bad debts ect.
- Distinguish between finance and operating leases.
- Foreign exchange transactions
- Reconcile debtors and creditors statements.
- Correct accounting treatment on disposal of assets (property, plant & equipment) and investments and the calculation of the taxation on capital gains/losses.
- Analyse the resulting trial balance for mistakes / deviations and be able to discuss the results with the client.
- Analytical review of AFS – GP%, Inventory days, Creditors days, Debtors days
- Ability to record books from insufficient records.
- Produce a draft set of financials according to generally accepted accounting practice, IFRS for SME and a working paper file according to the standards per the training file for sole proprietors, close corporations, trusts, partnerships, small business corporations, farmers and Body Corporates.
- Prepare the notes to financial statements
- Formulate accounting policies
- Identifying provisions and contingent liabilities
- Calculate the tax liability for sole proprietors, individuals, close corporations and trusts, small business corporations, farmers, Body corporates and partnerships.
- Reconciliations of input/output VAT to annual financial statements and monthly trial balances
- Compiling and discussing with the client of monthly management accounts.
- Complete a tax return for individuals, close corporations, trusts and body corporates.
- Acquisition of member’s interest / shareholding
- Review the monthly files of junior to intermediate accountants
- Completion and review of Management representation letters
- Client base is served in a timely manner
- Requesting information from customers
- Review junior team member’s work
- On-the-job training and development of junior members
- Check and finalise taxes of assistants in his team
- Provisional tax calculations
- Assist to Iterate office guidelines for the team
- Maintain strong customer relationships
- Good communicator with customers and colleagues
- Strong management skills, leadership and organisational abilities
- Complex level of accounting considering the above.
- Difficulty rate according to individual capabilities
Level of Independence:
- Work independently but work is reviewed by Manager or Partner
Management of staff:
- Directly responsible for the supervision of junior accountants
- Assist intermediate accountants when needed
Applications to be sent to: