LocationPKF Port Elizabeth, Gqeberha
About the position
Purpose of the role
Processing of accounting records onto a computerized accounting system resulting in an accurate and complete set of books. Completing of annual financial statements of CC’s, trusts, sole proprietors, and Body Corporates and working paper files. Calculation of taxation owing by business and individuals. Completion of statutory returns e.g., PAYE, UIF, SDL, VAT, Workman’s Compensation etc. Completion of annual IRP5’s and EMP501’s. Liaising with clients directly. Supervise and train junior and intermediate accountants.
Academic Qualifications Required:
- Matric with Accounting at Higher Grade
- BCom degree or equivalent degree with Accounting III and taxation
- Completed SAIPA articles
- More than 6 years of experience in an accounting practice
Skills, Competencies and Experience Required:
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills: Be able to converse in English/Afrikaans/Xhosa (advantageous)
- Report writing skills
- Time Management
- Problem solving skills
- Organisational skills
- Training presentation skills
- Supervisory skills: Ability to supervise junior and intermediate accountants and provide leadership.
- Strong Accounting, Taxation and Auditing knowledge
- Decisive and accurate
- Ability to prioritise
- Ability to work under pressure in a deadline driven environment
- Six years plus relevant accounting experience
Key Duties and Responsibilities – Key Performance Indicators:
- Supervise and initiating the processing of client information cheques, receipts, sales invoices, purchase invoices
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Processing and reconciling of Petty Cash and cash control accounts
- Keeping of a fixed asset register
- General journals – e.g. depreciation, provisions, interest, salaries, stock, etc.
- Process journal entries e.g. new instalment sale agreements, interest on borrowings, provisions, accruals of income and expenses, bad debts etc.
- Distinguish between finance and operating leases.
- Foreign exchange transactions
- Reconcile debtors and creditors statements.
- Correct accounting treatment on disposal of assets (property, plant & equipment) and investments and the calculation of the taxation on capital gains/losses.
- Analyse the resulting trial balance for mistakes / deviations and be able to discuss the results with the client.
- Analytical review of AFS – GP%, Inventory days, Creditors days, Debtors days
- Ability to record books from insufficient records.
- Produce a draft set of financials according to generally accepted accounting practice and a working paper file according to the standards per the training file for sole proprietors, close corporations, trusts, partnerships, small business corporations, farmers and Body Corporates.
- Prepare the notes to financial statements
- Formulate accounting policies
- Identifying provisions and contingent liabilities
- Calculate the tax liability for sole proprietors, individuals, close corporations and trusts, small business corporations, farmers, Body corporates and partnerships.
- Calculate the taxation on lumpsum payments by retirement
- Tax planning – e.g. fringe benefits and allowances
- Tax avoidance / Non-resident tax
- Secondary tax on companies
- Perform vouching tests during an audit of (Pty) Ltd and Body Corporates to verify completeness, existence, accuracy, valuation, ownership and presentation.
- Calculation of PAYE/UIF/SDL levies and VAT.
- Completion of statutory returns e.g. UIF/SDL/PAYE/VAT.
- Liase with client re payment of the above returns.
- Preparations of payroll.
- Issuing of IRP5’s and IT3’s and reconciliation to EMP501 at year end.
- Reconciliations of input/output VAT to annual financial statements and monthly trial balances
- Compiling and discussing with the client of monthly management accounts.
- Complete a tax return for individuals, close corporations, trusts and body corporates.
- Recording and identifying short comings in internal controls
- Identifying risks and calculate materiality
- Statutory checks – member’s certificates, founding statements, association agreements etc.
- Pre-engagement procedures
- Acquisition of member’s interest / shareholding
- Review the monthly files of junior to intermediate accountants
- Completion and review of Management representation letters
- Qualifying the report of an Accounting Officer
- Concept and characteristics of close corporations / private company / sole proprietor / trusts / clubs / sectional titles
- Advantages and disadvantages of the above
- Loans to members of the above
- Powers of members to bind the above
- Personal liability of members to CC / company and others
- Accounting records to be maintained
- The duties and rights of an accounting officer
- Provide assistance to junior and intermediate accountants
- Any other duty/work/client that is not the normal run of the mill activity e.g. and is of a more complex nature
- Assist in the running of the Accounting department with proposals etc.
- Provide and develop training to junior and intermediate accountants
- Perform basic administrative duties as needed on a day to day basis
- Review the working papers of junior to intermediate accountants.
- Able to audit Pty Ltd and Body Corporates
- Set-up of accounting systems for clients
- Suitable hardware and software
- Training of client staff in using the software (Pastel)
Required Computer Package Experience:
- Microsoft office Excel, Word, Forms, Windows, Outlook
- Caseware (not compulsory)
- Payroll (not compulsory)
Level of Independence:
- Work independently but work is reviewed by Manager or Partner
Management of staff:
- Directly responsible for the supervision of junior accountants
- Assist intermediate accountants when needed
Applications to be sent to:
Samantha Senekal HR Manager